Michael Ziefle's genealogical pages
Keine deutsche Version

You are here :   HOME > Family Research > General Information > Social Security Records  

Family Research

Social Security Records

You can get a copy of the application (SS-5) that was filled out to get the social security number. The following data are normally listed at this form:

  • Full Name (including maiden)
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of Birth
  • Father's full name
  • Mother's full name
  • Sex and Race
  • Current employer
  • Present Address
  • Age at last birthday
  • Date signed
  • Signature

These forms are filled out by the applicant himself/herself ! You can request a form titled "Social Security Number Record Third Party Request for Extract or Photocopy" (#SSA-L997 (2-83). Send a request for this form (I don't know if a local SS office would have a request form or not) to

Social Security Administration
Office of Central Records Operations
Baltimore, Maryland 21201

This form will lead you to the SS-5 (original application for the Social Security Number). Be sure to ask for photocopy (not extract, scratch out extract, circle photocopy) of original, then make another at xerox when you get it, because the copy they send may fade. You have to know the SS# and you will be required to send a death record or obituary (or if living, consent) along with the completed form. They also may or may not charge $7.00.


last changed: May 13, 1998
TOP | Disclaimer | data protection | statistic data | Ratings | Link this site |
copyright (c) 1996-2017 Michael Ziefle